Tuesday, March 8, 2011

R.T Day 16 - Cape Range Nat. Park

We awoke to a great sunrise over the Exmouth Gulf and headed towards the Nat. park, along the way we stopped at a nice lighthouse for some pics and some brekkie. It cost us $11 dollars to get into the park for the day, Lenny had to rent some snorkel gear and I was finally going to get some good use out of mine after hauling it around for about the last half a year. Wow!!! I can’t believe it’s already been about a half a year since I left Canada!!! Well anyway, the first spot we go to is “Pilgramunna”, a spot the ranger at the gate told us was his favorite spot in the park. I got snorkeling right away while Lenny was trying to get his rental stuff not to leak. Mean while while I was out there I seen a dang reef SHARK swim right past me!!! It was about 5 to 6 feet long!!! Well needless to say I was a little scared and very excited and really glad I brought my knife with me!!!. 
For so long I wondered what I would do when I saw a shark in the open water and I was just so, so, I don’t even know what to say! So we snorkeled a bit longer and then went to the next spot, the “Oyster Stacks”. It was a very nice spot also, but no sharks there!!! 
The next spot we went to was “Turquoise Bay” and the was probably one of the nicest places I have been while in Australia! The lady at the information center gave us some info to walk up the beach 500 meters then get in the water and the current will take you along the reef. We started out and in about 10 minutes we both seen another “SHARK”, about a 5 footer, but this time I wasn’t afraid even thought I should have been!!! I was following it around and got some great pictures of it, even one with myself and the shark in the pic!!! for those who don’t believe me!!!(thank goodness for my awesome underwater camera!!!) After he swam away and we just continued on our way and now that I think about it I get shivers down my spine!!! We had this cute little yellow and black fish, just one, follow us for over 500 meters while we snorkeled along the reef! He was a pretty cool little fish! got some good pics with him too! We seen so many different types of fish and even an Octopus! but no turtles, and Lenny wanted to see one so bad. Our next and last stop was called “Lakeside” right by the info place we were running short on time cause we had to bring back the gear soon but we went in for a little snorkel and sure enough we got to see a nice big sea turtle! So Our snorkeling adventure was complete! We headed back to Exmouth to stay in the awesome camper park because the park didn’t have showers to wash off all the suncream and salt. Picked up some lamb, beef, potatoes and onions and had a nice feast at the great BBQ they had and chatted with some of the fellow travelers we had met that day along the coast.





No comments:

Post a Comment