Friday, March 25, 2011

Rottnest Island Day 2

The bike hire on the Island has over 1300 bikes and every day they must get a couple hundred people so it only makes sense to have 1 sometimes 2 staff helping the 40 plus people in line, just when I was there! It almost took a hour just to rent a bike! The island is over 11 km’s long and 4 km’s wide with 63 beaches and 20 bays!!!
The bike trek to cover the whole island was around 22km’s so I figured I should have no problems covering the whole island during the day. I sloped on some suncream and headed on my way. My plan was to start on the north side and head west and then do some snorkeling on the east side where I was told it was the best, Little Salmon Bay! I started out passing beautiful Longreach Bay, Geordie Bay and Litttle Armstrong Bay. Half way across the north there was a turn off to Oliver Hill Guns, so I road up the hill and glad I did. A massive 9.2 inch gun sits atop the hill with just amazing views of the whole island! They do a tunnel tour that I may decide to do if I don’t go golfing tomorrow. I continued on westward passing York, Stark and Rocky Bays and got to the turn off to go out to the west coast, and by now and bum was already very uncomfortable! I should have picked one a more comfy bike seat but it was a little to late for that. I said I was gonna do it all so I had to go out to the West End. I took a nice little break out at the west end with great views of Eagle and Fish Hook Bays. I put my Aussie towel over the narrow little bike seat and it helped a bit but not much! I started to head east past Wilson, Strickland and Salmon bays with million dollar views of the coast. I stopped for a much needed swim and snorkel at Salmon bay which was nice and went around the corner to Little Salmon bay for a rest and snorkel. The swells coming in were pretty rough and I went out anyway and got some nice pics and got stung by a jellyfish on my arm so that was enough of that for the day!!! By now I was walking up the hills cause I just couldn’t sit on that seat anymore, but I was only 3 km’s away from the hostel so it was alright. All in all it was a very exhausting day and I slept very well that night. 








No comments:

Post a Comment