Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rottnest Island Day 1

Lenny’s flight was around noon so he took the 8:45 bus to the airport. We said good bye and then there was one!!! I had to catch the 9:45 ferry and caught the 9:00 train which made it to Fremantle at 9:30 so I just made it in time to the ferry! Next time I will look at the train timetable because I was stressing out thinking I was going to miss the ferry. The ferry ride took about 25 minutes and I made it to the island no problem. I get off the boat and go down the pier to take some pictures and leave me bag behind me and about 15 seconds later I hear this guy yell “Oh, my back”. I turn around and this man who had been walking backwards??? has tripped over my bag and is lying on the ground!!! He ended up getting up and I said “Sorry, for what it’s worth” and his wife said “He should be looking where he walks” I felt bad but it wasn’t my fault so I carried on my way and had a “Cut lunch” which are sandwiches in the shade under a tree. I had to wait an hour before I could check in so I just wandered around, got my key, then caught the shuttle bus to the Kingstown Barracks. The hostel bed looked very comfy so I lied down and ended having a nice little “nana nap”! When I awoke I walked back to town along the beach and got a sandwich from subway and sat on a bench over looking the ocean. I had some little marsupials called Quokka’s come and join me for supper and they are very tame and the little cheeky bugger jumped right up on the bench trying to eat my sub!!! I figure he had done this before and had somebody’s food tumble to the ground because mine almost did! You couldn’t get mad at them though cause they are so cute. I could see some action going on down by the beach so I headed down there and a man had just fed the pelicans and sting rays. This was the biggest sting ray I’ve ever seen! It must have been like five feet wide and he went right up the to the beach out of the water and under the walkway so I was able to take some great pics. I walked around the point to the lighthouse and got to watch a great sunset and then walked back to the hostel to charge my camera for a long day riding around island on a bike and update my blog. 






No comments:

Post a Comment