Friday, December 9, 2011

Stewart Island to Milford Sound Cruise and Gunn’s Camp

The highway from Stewart Island to Milford was maybe the most scenic highway I’ve ever been on, it was built strictly for tourism with a kilo long tunnel going right through the mountain. I made sure I got the seat right besides the driver because I knew it was going to be a spectacular drive and sure was right! We made it to Milford Sound with nice and clear skies so we were able to see all the peaks of the mountains. The waterfalls weren’t at full force but I thought they were still very nice. To quote the captain of the boat “These waterfalls are pathetic! It hasn’t rained for four days, we’re in a drought here people”!!! I thought that was pretty funny for a captain of a tourist boat to say. The scenery was just stunning and after the cruise we made our way back along the highway to our stay for the night “Gunn’s Camp”. This old hunting camp way it the bush on the river. It was a nice place were we had a fire at night and I got my first taste of the hundreds of thousands of sandflies I would encounter in the upcoming days!










No comments:

Post a Comment