Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Kepler Track Day 2 - Luxmore Hut to Iris Burn Hut - 14.6

As the morning went on the clouds grew thicker over the mountains in the direction I was to walk and I just stuck to my plan to take my time and enjoy every second of it and take it all in! I was one of the last to leave the hut, out of like almost 50 people! It started to rain a little on my way up but nothing to serious, nothing that would stop me from getting to the summit of Mt Luxmore! Like it was meant to be the summit cleared up for a while, just long enough for some good pics and a little picnic with world class views! Then the clouds came.....and went.....and came back....and went again! They would come roll over the mountains then open up this amazing view and seconds later would eat it up again! This went on for the most part of the day and added to the whole experience for me! The wind and rain were just as intense at times but for the most part the rain was light and the wind was strong! Walking along that mountain ridge is something I will never forget! I had a few more encounters with the Kea while I was just sitting by myself having a snack on the side of the mountain and next thing I know this bird is nibbling at my dang shoe!!! Crazy right? Funny birds! I just chilled for about an hour at the last nice lookout before I made my way back down the twisty track into the forest to the Iris Burn hut. After I checked out the hut I went straight away to check out the waterfall which would have been much nicer if I wasn’t being attacked by sandflies! Great day!











No comments:

Post a Comment