Thursday, December 15, 2011

Doubtful Sound Kayak Adventure Day 1

It was a 6:15 pick up for the kayaking and a little worried about who I would get as a partner I was pleasantly surprised when Maria, a cute german girl, was the only other single in the van along with two other couples. She had never kayaked before so I was really happy about my partner for the next two days. We hit it off right away and got along great! Mike was our guide and he was pretty cool. It was nice and sunny when we put the kayaks in the water and we got to see the peaks of the mountains which rose straight up from the water. I actually wanted it to rain believe it or not so the waterfalls would start flowing. Would you believe it started to rain pretty heavy in the afternoon and we got our waterfalls we did! Some really great ones too! There are dolphins and seals some times in the sound and we had a little baby seal come right up to our kayaks and the little guy even climbed right up onto one of the kayaks, it was amazing! After soaking up the waterfalls and the seal we headed for camp to set up. Setting up camp in the rain is as fun as it sounds, especially with bizzilions of sandflies eating any exposed flesh! After wearing a wetsuit all day I was the only one to go for a swim in the sound with the rain falling was just awesome, I didn’t want to get out! I ate another freeze dried meal, “Chicken a la King” which was also really good, in the little mesh dinner tent and drank some wine with the crew! I did have a good tent that stayed nice and dry and didn’t have that bad of a sleep!








No comments:

Post a Comment