Monday, December 12, 2011

Kepler Track Day 1 - Te Anau to Luxmore Hut - 15.8km

I used two of my dry bags to put my clothes and sleeping gear in and attached them to my hunting bag which carried all my food. I was all set and headed out, stopping buy the DOC(Department Of Conservation) to let them know I was leaving and when to contact the police if I didn’t return! I went right on the search as I walked to find me a nice walking stick and didn’t take to long to find a great one. In the first couple kilo’s I was sure feeling it in my hips and I didn’t even have much gear compared to some of these other hardcores! And I hadn’t even hit the 8 km stretch uphill yet! They were definitely taking a lot more breaks than me though. Climbing that hill was very challenging but I just kept keeping on, keeping on. When you hit about a thousand feet above sea level the beech trees don’t germinate anymore and the tops of the mountains are clear with amazing views in all directions. I made it to the hut with plenty time to spare and checked out some caves with a guy who had actually gotten off the stray bus as well that day! Afterwards I ate some dinner and sat out side to get up and close with the Kea alpine parrots as they tried to make off with my water bottle and book! The huts were well equipped and the beds were sleep-able!









No comments:

Post a Comment