Saturday, April 23, 2011

Australia National Museum-Canberra

There were three things I wanted to make sure I did while in Canberra, the Australia National Museum, the National War
Museum and the Canberra Nights ice hockey team home opener game! I walked to the museum in about 45 minutes, it was right on the water and was a nice walk. The museum was very neat with lots to see and was “free”. I spent most of the day there and after I was finished I wanted to catch the bus back to the city and everyone at the museum said buses weren’t running today! That was how I was planning to get to the hockey game so I was a little bummed out, I didn’t want to dish out $30+ for a taxi. I started walking back to the city when about 10 minutes from the museum a city bus past me coming from the museum!!! So that gave me some hope and I started to see more of them and ended up talking to a driver who said getting to the arena wouldn’t be a problem, sweet! I got back to the hostel, put on some warm clothes and was on my way to my first AIHL game! When I got to the arena I realized there would be no bus to bring me back so I was talking to a guy in the line, Dean, and he said it would be no problem to bring me back to the city, so that was great. It was the Canberra Knights against the Newcastle North Stars. The Knights lost 2 to 7 but I still bought a beer cooler with the team on it. I figure they have the coolest looking mascot out of the three of them!
After the game Dean said he had nothing to do so he offered to take me up to the top of Mt Ainsley for a great view over the city. It was a nice view of the planned city and he did his best tour guide impression to tell me about the city. He offered to take me across the city to the “Telstra Tower” also, which was a observation tower/restaurant which you had to pay to go up so I payed his way for taking me all around the city. After the tower he dropped me off at the hostel, it was very nice of him to take me on a little tour!










No comments:

Post a Comment