Monday, January 10, 2011

KI Day 4, Ironstone Hill Hike




Check out is usually at 10am at the hostels so after I pack up my stuff you can usually store it for free, which I did. I asked Libby where there was a good hiking trail and she sent me in the right direction because it was a great trail to the top of “Ironstone hill”. The view from up there was very nice and great history, with the first house built on the island in the 1890’s and a grain crushing silo up there. I seen wild wallaby’s and I walked along the jagged coastline on the way back and I’m so glad I did because a massive pod of dolphins came swimming and playing along the shore!!! I’m getting really good at talking my own picture and I ended up getting some great pics of myself with the dolphins in the background jumping out of the water!!!!! So that was definitely the highlight of the walk for me!


I needed to kill some time when I got back to town so I went to the local winery “cellar door” and tasted all of their wines then went to the famous fish and chips place called “Fish” for a bite, it was really yummy!!! Went back to the hostel for a shower, said by to Libby and caught the ferry back to mainland and the bus back to Adelaide.

On the bus I met a very nice woman from Amsterdam, Franka who had just done the one day tour of the island. I mentioned the bar Grace Emily’s where I was headed when we got to town and she said she was also headed there to meet some friends so I said I’d see her there. I put my bags in my room and ran into the regular bunch at the hostel, including Lenart, who I was heading to Port Elliot tomorrow with.

At the bar I ended up meeting Franka in the line to get in, and once inside I found Julia from our KI adventure there so we hung out a had a drink, said bye again and they enjoyed the live music with Franka and her friend Marie, also from the Netherlands, until the bar closed down, then walked back to the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment