Friday, January 7, 2011

Kangaroo Island, aka KI, Day 1




Had an early morning to be on the bus for 6:40 and started off on my KI adventure. It started off great because I asked to sit down by a young woman and expecting a german or european, I was pleased to find out she was a fellow Canuck! So we chatted for the ride, she was just doing a one day tour and I was doing a two day so I figured we would be on different buses and I was right. When we got on the ferry I ran into the U.S. woman doing the one day tour who had met a german woman, Julia, doing the two day tour, as was I. So when we got off the ferry we found out we were on the same bus so while I gathered my bag I asked her to save me a seat, smooth right, haha!! I sat next to her on the bus and we met another german woman, Anikka, and a Swiss man, Jerome. All three were very nice and spoke english so that was a relief knowing I wasn’t going to be stuck with a bunch of people I couldn’t talk to. 
Our driver/guide was named Dave and we got underway and headed to Rob’s sheep sheering farm and got to watch his dog round up 10 sheep and herd them into the barn and watched him cut all the wool off one of the sheep, which was actually very neat to see!!
After the sheep farm we headed to and beautiful bay for photo’s and them to Emu Ridge Eucalyptus farm, the last one on the island of about 60 of the past. We got to see how they extract the oil from the leaves and had lunch there as well. Then off to Seal bay to see the sea lion’s on the beach, which was very special cause it is one of the few spots in the country to see them!
Then we were off to “Little Sahara” to go sand boarding and I wiped out pretty good and got sand where sand probably shouldn’t be!!! But it was a very interesting little desert in the middle of the island.
Little Sahara was our last stop before we were off to “Vivonne Bay”where we were to stay the night and I had read the beach there was rated the best beach in Australia by the University of Sydney in a study done last year, so we all had really high hopes but it turned out to just be a nice beach as we had all figured we’d been to nicer beaches so far!! and were going to nicer beaches in days to come. The place had just been renovated last year so it was all pretty much brand new which was great. Dave cooked up some steaks and sausages with beet root salad and had a great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment